MILESTONE PROJECT 1: STACKED SLICES MODEL WEEK 2

 Megan Janett

February 6, 2023


Stacked Slices

This week I focused on finalizing my vase. I ran into a few issues. When I went to go divide it into horizontal strips I realized that I needed to add a centre cylinder in order to make the outer thickness of the vase. I tried to figure out how to connect the cylinder to the vase but had no luck. I am meeting with the tutor for some help in figuring it out. I also added the right dimensions to it. 

I have decided to use 1/8th inch baltic birch wood. I have some left over from previous projects and the outside is dyed purple. I think it will make a cool contrast between the raw wood and the coloured wood when stacked since they layers will be slightly offset. The plan is to cut them in the next couple days and then assemble it. The finished product will be added here.


I'll start by showing you the final piece! The sizing turned out to be perfect. I originally based the design and the size of it around these lego flowers as I didn't have a vase they would fit in. I measured roughly how big the circumference of the stems were and based the rest of the design off of that.



Here is an animation! It shows how you can alter how many spikes come off the side of the vase and how the shape can change.

Below are some quick renderings of the vase. I managed to figure out how to take the cylinder out the middle. I used a combination of tools in rhino and grasshopper. I then baked it and separated the layers.









Here are the layers in a 2D form. Here I can transfer the information over to the laser cutter and then assemble them. I'm thinking of using superglue or some form of epoxy. I think the pieces will slide too much if I use wood glue.




The vase sliced into layers matching the thickness of my material.





Here it is straight out the laser cutter! The pieces are aligning up perfectly. And I had no issues with the printing process. I was a little worried that some of the top pieces would be too small and break a part. Luckily it only happened with one piece that I was able to glue together.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Definition - Megan Janett

MILESTONE PROJECT 1: STACKED SLICES MODEL